Saturday, June 14, 2008

More 'fun' with food

Caden has started to enjoy the solid food a little more. Well, he doesn't spit it out anymore and he actually swallows most of it. He's using his tongue differently to get it to the back of his mouth, rather than out the front. He's had Avocado (yes the 2nd time went much better), sweet potato, carrots and pears.

I have to say that I'm not really thrilled about solid food. I'm digging the breastfeeding; simple, portable, readily available, cheap, and creates such a wonderful closeness. Solid food feeding is in one word, messy. messy, Messy, MESSY!!! Which is fine, I know it's a learning curve for him, skill building. But frankly, it's kind of a pain in the ass. No, it is a pain in the ass. Gotta get the food, gotta get it mixed/out of the jar, gotta get the spoon, gotta get the spoon for him to work with, gotta get two bibs (one that's snug around his neck and one that's vinyl and non-absorbent and doesn't close snug enough around his neck, hence the 2nd bib), gotta get the sippy cup, it seems endless. He constantly grabs the spoon, or shoves his spoon in his mouth so I can't get the food in there (yes, I know 'don't let him have his own spoon', but I want him to get good at getting it in his mouth himself). Once we're done, he's messy, he's wet, his clothes are messy/wet, his seat is messy/wet, and usually I'm messy and/or wet.
But.... he's still so darned cute.
[oh, and you can't see it in the photos, because he had it tucked in, Mark's Father's Day present, I gave it to him early since it was too precious not to.]




































And he turned 7 months old Thursday:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Omgosh look at those eyelashes on that baby. I want some like that! You're right - solid food is messy. I remember when Cindy was living with me when her Cayden was little and it was always all over the place - and the dried on crusties in the high chair, ugh. Thank goodness they invented removable high-chair cushions that you can wash.